Thursday, December 11, 2008

60+ degrees in December

That's right. Today, the high in Kyoto was somewhere in the low-to-mid 60s. While people back home are making snowmen and shoveling sidewalks, I spent the afternoon riding my bike and shopping.

Not only did I opt out of wearing a coat, I also decided not to take my usual shortcut through the middle of town. I took a new route, cutting east across the northern part of Kyoto (passing the Imperial Palace, among other places of interest), and then following the Kamo south.

Shopping wasn't very successful, but I enjoyed poking around in numerous souvenir shops. I'll have to return to a few of them once I finally decide what I'm bringing back for everyone.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from my afternoon.
It may be a bit hard to see, but this is the Daimonji, one of five sites of massive bonfires throughout the city for a festival in August. I wonder how big a bribe it would take to get at least one of the fires lit for New Year's...
Apparently, you can cross the Kamo on stepping stones if a more traditional bridge isn't your thing. There were a lot of people enjoying the weather by the river today.
I was trying not to be rude, so this picture is a little hard to see as well. This little waterway runs parallel to Kiyamachi, home of Sam & Dave. I noticed that the water was full of muck but didn't think much of it. However, this dirty water seems to be unacceptable to the Japanese. Dozens of people were in the water, scooping out fallen leaves and stray litter. Many were wearing jeans and matching red t-shirts, but there were also a fair number of guys in suits. Nice suits. With rubber boots. I wish I could explain...but that would probably take all the fun out of it.

1 comment:

John Milito said...

Yeah, think of all the fun little things you would miss if you just zoomed by in a car.